Director, Design Machine Group [on sabbatical 2013-2014]
Brian Johnson is an associate professor in the Department of Architecture. His interests include developing computer supported collaborative work (CSCW) tools for small groups, constructing better digital support systems for design decision making in both co-located and distributed situations, smart environments and sensing systems, assessing the impact of digital technologies on architectural space and practice, and assembling an outstanding design-computing curriculum. He also, occasionally, bakes bread and produces wine from grapes grown at his Seattle home.
Brian received the prestigious ACADIA (Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture) Award for Excellence in Research in 2002, and the ACADIA Society Award, for "extraordinary contributions and service to the ACADIA community" in 2010.
He received his B.S. in Physics and Mathematics, summa cum laude, from the University of Puget Sound, and his MArch. from the University of Washington.
Brian was an active member of ACADIA in the early years of the organization, serving as Steering Committee member during several terms, as Site Coordinator for ACADIA'95 (Seattle), as President from 1999-2000, as acadia.org webmaster for many of the first 15 online years, as developer and webmaster for the ACADIA Online Competition in1998, as CAMEO 2.0 development lead and administrator. He is also a member of the ACM (SIGGRAPH & SIGCHI) and the UW's "DUB" group.
Department of Architecture
208 Gould Hall - BOX 355720
3949 15th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98195-5720
- Brian R Johnson has been invited to participate in a Design Computing symposium...
- Brian R Johnson has been invited to present ideas on "Hypervisualization"...
- Brian R Johnson will speak on " Tracery : Enabling Informal Mixed-mode Expression...
- Brian R Johnson receives 2010 ACADIA "Society Award" Award of Excellence...
- 05.16.2010 - Brian R Johnson part of "Team of Experts" reviewing academic programs...
- 10.19.2008 - At ACADIA 2008, in Minneapolis. Daniel Belcher presented " MxR : A Physical...
- 9.20.2008 - Daniel Belcher presents a paper, co-authored with Brian R Johnson , describing the...
- Mehlika Inanici has been awarded the "Dean's Faculty Development Award"...
- 10.7.2007 - ACADIA 2007 - Halifax, Nova Scotia - Brian R Johnson presented the paper that Chien-Lin...
- 10.15.2006 - ACADIA 2006 - Louisville, Kentucky - Brian R Johnson presented "Context Aware...
- The Colloquium on the Built Environment "What is Design Computing?" Brian...
- 9.14.2005 - Brian R Johnson participated in the Seattle Innovation Symposium, exploring where...
- Brian R Johnson awarded ACADIA Award of Excellence in Research as part of ACADIA...
- 10.27.2002 - Brian R Johnson and Dan Glaser will present at the ACADIA 2002 Conference, Thresholds...
- 1.11.2002 - Brian R Johnson presents " Compadres : Lightweight Support for Distributed...
- 10.26.2001 - Brian R Johnson invited to speak at seminar in Madison Wisconsin. Seminar is titled...
- 10.14.2001 - Brian R Johnson invited to ACADIA 2001 in Buffalo, N.Y. Participates in panel discussion...
- 7.11.2001 - Design Machine Group: Mark D Gross , Ellen Yi-Luen Do , Brian R Johnson and Thomas...
- 7.11.2001 - Brian R Johnson , Thomas Jung , and others present papers at the CAAD futures conference...
- 10.20.2000 - ACADIA 2000, at Washington DC. Brian R Johnson and Thomas Jung present papers! http://acadia2000.tamu.ed...
- Brian R Johnson presents 'Beyond the Low Hanging Fruit - Digital Technology...
- Brian R Johnson and others present 3 papers at eCAADe (education in computer aided...
- Urban Data Librarian - Brian R Johnson and Chuoc Lam
2011 Combined Digital & Physical Modeling with Vision-Based Tangible User Interfaces: Opportunities and Challenges
2011 TiMBA: Tangible User Interface for Model Building and Analysis
2010 Analyzing a Process of Collaborative Game Design Involving Online Tools
2009 Gizmo & Wiiview: Tangible User Interfaces Enabling Architectural Presentations
2008 MxR: A Physical Model-Based Mixed Reality Interface for Design Collaboration, Simulation, Visualization and Form Generation
2008 ARchitectureView: An Augmented Reality Interface for Viewing 3D Building Information Models An Augmented Reality Interface for Viewing 3D Building Information Models
2007 DVIN: a Dual-View Information Navigator
2006 Surfing the Tide of Change
2006 Context Aware Paper-Based Review Instrument: A Tangible User Interface for Architecture Design Review
2003 Requirements for an Effective Distributed Design Review
2002 Navigational Blocks: navigating information space with tangible media
2002 Compadres: Lightweight Suppport for Distributed Collaborators
2002 Virtuality and Place
2002 Navigational Blocks: Tangible Navigation of Digital Information
2001 Unfocused Interaction in Distributed Workgroups: Establishing Group Presence in a Web-Based Environment
2001 The Design Amanuensis - An Instrument for Multimodal Design Capture and Playback
2000 Sustaining Studio Culture- How well do internet tools meet the needs of Virtual Design Studios
2000 Between Friends: Support of Workgroup Communications
2000 Beyond the Low-hanging Fruit: Information Technology in Architectural Design, past, present, and future
1999 The 24 Hour Design Cycle: An Experiment in Design Collaboration Over the Internet
1999 Virtual Design Studio 1998 - a Place2Wait
1999 EVAL: A Web-based Design Review System
1998 The ArchiMedia Multisite: A Distributed Architectural Case Study Catalog
1998 Development Of a Case Study: 'Multi-Site' On The World Wide Web
1998 An Experiment in Design Collaboration
1998 Virtual Design Studio: Multiplying Time
1997 A Web-based Architectural Case Study System
1993 The Graphics Application Paradigm: A Framework for User Understanding of CG/CAD Applications
1991 Book Review: 'The Electronic Design Studio: Architectural Knowledge and Media in the Computer Era' by McCullough, Mitchell and Purcell, The MIT Press, 1990, 505 pages.
1990 Software Development, from Theory to Practice
1988 The Quantitative Modelling of Human Spatial Habitability
1985 An Analysis of the Benefit-Costs of Alternative Fenestration Assemblies for Internal-Load-Dominant Buildings Noting Solar Heat Gains and Daylighting Provision
1984 Devices to Reduce Cooling Loads for Three Climates
1983 A Study Method for Evaluating Fenestration Assemblies Considering the Control of Solar Heat Gain and the Provision of Daylighting
1981 Design of a Moderate-Cost Microcomputer Data Acquisition System for Experimental Investigations of Thermal Systems
1981 Conventional versus Earth-Sheltered Housing: A Comparative Study of Construction and Operation Costs for Three Cities